Explore Business Directory

How it's done

The District of Squamish is home to a wide variety of businesses. Understanding the types of businesses and where they are located may help you make better business and investment decisions. In order to manage growth, the District issues business licences to confirm and ensure lawful operation in the municipality. If required, a business licence helps to regulate taxes, protect consumers and ensure public safety. This tool will help you answer three important questions.

What types of businesses are there and where are they located?

Use the interactive Business Directory map below to learn more about our businesses and gain insights into the land use zones within which they operate. More information on land use regulations can be found here.

Do I need a business licence to conduct my business?

Many businesses located, or providing services, within the District boundaries are required to maintain a current annual business licence. For more detailed information on business specific requirements click here.

To view the current business bylaw click here.

As a general guide, if your business falls under any of the descriptions listed below you will likely require a business licence from the District of Squamish.

  • Commercial, Retail or Industrial Business
  • Home-based Business
  • General Contractor or Sub-Contractor
  • Direct Seller or Commercial Agent
  • Mobile Retail, Mobile Vending Unit
  • Push Cart Vending Unit or Hawker/Peddler
  • Farmers Market
  • Other Public Market or Trade Show

How do I get a business licence?

You can apply for a business license by filling out the Business Licence Application for Residents or Non-Residents and submitting it in one of the following ways:

  • In person between 8:30 am - 5:00 pm (Monday - Thursday) and 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (Friday)
  • By mail to District of Squamish at PO Box 310, Squamish, B.C. V8B 0A3
  • Fax to 604.815.4954
  • Email to businesslicense@squamish.ca

The processing time of an application depends on completeness of the application when received and the need for approvals by other departments or other regulatory authorities. These approvals may be in addition to District Community Planning and include Provincial agencies such as Vancouver Coastal Health, or other District departments such as Squamish Fire Rescue.

Please contact Community Planning at 604.815.5014 for further information or if you have any questions about the application.

Get this research

Receive a PDF report of this research.

Get Report

Help us help you

Tell us how this page can be more helpful.

Tell us!

Contact us

District of Squamish